WHAT HOURS WILL CULINARY SERVICES BE OPEN IN THE FALL? (UPDATED 9/12/20)
Please see below for a PDF document listing fall semester dining hours.
WHEN DO FALL SEMESTER DINING PLANS BEGIN? (UPDATED 9/1/20)
Fall semester dining plans began on Saturday, Aug. 29 for students with an on-campus dining plan (DineOn Silver, Gold or Platinum). Off-campus and faculty/staff meal accesses can be used at any time.
WHAT SAFETY MEASURES HAS CULINARY SERVICES IMPLEMENTED WITHIN ITS OPERATIONS TO KEEP GUESTS AND STAFF SAFE FROM THE SPREAD OF COVID-19?
Numerous processes have been implemented to protect the safety and welfare of team members and guests throughout Culinary Services operations.
- Masks have been provided to Culinary Services team members and are now required as part of the uniform.
- Guests of all Culinary operations including dining and retail are required to wear masks. Disposable masks will be provided if patrons do not have one.
- Residential dining has eliminated cash transactions and will only accept meal plans, Spartan Cash, debit or credit cards.
- Installation of plexiglass at retail points of sale and residential host stands.
- Self-serve areas have been converted to fully served. This includes all service ware, condiments, and beverages.
- The entire daily menu within residential dining will now be available as grab & go. Diners can carry out up to 3 containers per access. All options will be distributed with single use disposable silverware and individually packed condiment containers.
- Dining halls close from 3-5 p.m. to allow for additional cleaning and transition of staff.
- Social distancing protocols are currently being implemented including floor graphics and line queuing.
- Antiseptic wipes are being provided for guests to sanitize.
- Dining halls will be staffed with additional team members dedicated to cleaning and sanitizing various areas.
- The standard cleaner (QC 54 Peroxide Glass Cleaner) has been replaced with Peroxide Multi-Surface Disinfectant which is EPA approved effective against Coronavirus – COVID-19.
- Staff are completing health screening questionnaires prior to beginning their shift. If they have any symptoms associated with COVID-19, they are immediately sent home and not allowed to return to work until:
At least 3 days (72 hours) have passed since resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and improvement in respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath); and,
At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO SEE WHEN I GO TO THE DINING HALL?
Additional health and safety measures have been added within residential dining facilities and include the following:
- Staff wearing masks and gloves
- Floor graphics for 6 feet of distancing
- Conversion to all disposable service ware
- Traffic flow patterns
- Division of line queuing for distancing
CAN I EAT IN THE DINING HALL? (UPDATED 9/12/20)
On Sept. 12, Ingham County Health Department recommended that all local MSU students immediately self-quarantine. Given this important update, please note all seating areas within dining halls will be closed indefinitely. In addition, MSU Union Food Court and the MSU Union Sparty's will be closed throughout the recommended self-quarantine time. We will notify guests of their future reopening. An article on the health department website provides additional information on the recommendation.
Residential dining halls and retail locations continue to offer grab & go so that you can get your food quickly, with no hassle, and be on your way. The full menu is available in your dining plan as grab & go and you can carryout up to three containers per access.
If you prefer to select items from the serving lines, you are free to do that as well. They can be put directly into a carryout container.
This dining model provides for enhanced modes of safety measures and the expected outcome will provide our guests and staff with a safe and healthy environment.
IS THERE A PRE-ORDER OPTION FOR DINING?
Yes! We are happy to announce that our new mobile app, Transact Mobile Ordering, is now available for use. Currently, we can accept on-campus dining plans (Silver, Gold and Platinum) as well as Spartan Cash as a payment option. We continue to test the credit/debit card payment option as well as off-campus and faculty/staff dining plans, and we hope to offer these options in the future. See our news article for information on how to download and use the mobile ordering for The Edge at Akers and South Pointe at Case dining halls.
Our Starbucks locations currently utilize Grubhub. If you haven’t already, be sure to download the Grubhub app and select Michigan State University so you are all set to pre-order your favorite beverage.
For fall 2020 housing updates, please visit the MSU Live On website.
For more information regarding the Division of Residential and Hospitality Services’ response to COVID-19, visit rhs.msu.edu/covid19. To learn more about MSU’s response and campus reopening, visit msu.edu/coronavirus.