WHAT HOURS WILL CULINARY SERVICES BE OPEN DURING WINTER BREAK AND SPRING? (UPDATED 1/7/21)
Please see below for PDF documents listing early arrival hours for spring semester as well as regular spring semester hours of operation.
WHEN DO SPRING SEMESTER DINING PLANS BEGIN? (UPDATED 1/7/21)
For students arriving to campus early, retail locations will be open through Jan. 14. Dining halls in Akers, Brody and Case will open on Jan. 15.
Students who applied for early arrival in their My Housing account and receive approval will receive three grab-and-go meals per day for use at open retail locations. An enhanced menu of hot and cold options will be available (see the menu here).
When checking in at the service center, students will receive a meal pass which allows for the student and two guests to pick up a grab-and-go meal from the dining halls. If you are arriving prior to dining halls opening on Jan. 15, you may use the pass at open retail locations (Sparty's Market, Case Hall Sparty's and Owen Hall Sparty's).
Spring semester dining plans (Silver, Gold and Platinum) begin on Jan. 15.
WHAT SAFETY MEASURES HAS CULINARY SERVICES IMPLEMENTED WITHIN ITS OPERATIONS TO KEEP GUESTS AND STAFF SAFE FROM THE SPREAD OF COVID-19?
Numerous processes have been implemented to protect the safety and welfare of team members and guests throughout Culinary Services operations.
- Masks have been provided to Culinary Services team members and are now required as part of the uniform.
- Guests of all Culinary operations including dining and retail are required to wear masks. Disposable masks will be provided if patrons do not have one.
- Residential dining has eliminated cash transactions and will only accept meal plans, Spartan Cash, debit or credit cards.
- Installation of plexiglass at retail points of sale and residential host stands.
- Self-serve areas have been converted to fully served. This includes all service ware, condiments, and beverages.
- The entire daily menu within residential dining will now be available as grab and go. Diners can carry out up to 3 containers per access. All options will be distributed with single use disposable silverware and individually packed condiment containers.
- Dining halls close from 3-5 p.m. to allow for additional cleaning and transition of staff.
- Social distancing protocols are currently being implemented including floor graphics and line queuing.
- Chairs have been secured to tables to discourage the movement of furniture for those enjoying dine-in service.
- Antiseptic wipes are being provided for guests to sanitize.
- Dining halls will be staffed with additional team members dedicated to cleaning and sanitizing various areas.
- The standard cleaner (QC 54 Peroxide Glass Cleaner) has been replaced with Peroxide Multi-Surface Disinfectant which is EPA approved effective against Coronavirus – COVID-19.
- Staff are completing health screening questionnaires prior to beginning their shift. If they have any symptoms associated with COVID-19, they are immediately sent home and not allowed to return to work until:
At least 3 days (72 hours) have passed since resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and improvement in respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath); and,
At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT TO SEE WHEN I GO TO THE DINING HALL?
Additional health and safety measures have been added within residential dining facilities and include the following:
- Staff wearing masks and gloves
- Floor graphics for 6 feet of distancing
- Conversion to all disposable service ware
- Traffic flow patterns
- Division of line queuing for distancing
CAN I EAT IN THE DINING HALL? (UPDATED 2/14/21)
Dine-in seating is currently available in Brody Square, The Edge at Akers, South Pointe at Case and MSU Union Food Court (one person per table). As an alternative to dining in, guests can take out up to 3 containers per access.
IS THERE A PRE-ORDER OPTION FOR DINING?
Yes! We are happy to announce that our new mobile app, Transact Mobile Ordering, is now available for use. Currently, we can accept on-campus dining plans (Silver, Gold and Platinum), Spartan Cash and debit/credit cards as a payment option.
Please see our mobile ordering page for download instructions and menus for Brody Square, The Edge at Akers, South Pointe at Case and MSU Union Food Court.
Our Starbucks locations currently utilize Grubhub. If you haven’t already, be sure to download the Grubhub app and select Michigan State University so you are all set to pre-order your favorite beverage. You can also connect your Spartan ID card and utilize Combo-X-Change through they app if you have a dining plan.
For housing updates, please visit the MSU Live On website.
For more information regarding the Division of Residential and Hospitality Services’ response to COVID-19, visit rhs.msu.edu/covid19. To learn more about MSU’s response and campus reopening, visit msu.edu/coronavirus.