- 1 pound of boneless chicken thigh meat
- 1 package of Frontera Garlic Pork Carnitas Slow Cook Sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock/broth
- 1 package of Vigo Mexican Rice
- 1 package of La Banderita flour tortillas
- 1 can black beans
- ¼ cup yellow or red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup red or green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheese, for garnish
- Marinate the chicken in a quart ziplock bag with ½ of the package of sauce overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook each side of the chicken for about four minutes each, and then remove and place on a cutting board. Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes, and then cut it into thin strips. Return it to the sauté pan with ½ cup chicken stock/broth and put on medium-low heat. Let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While chicken is simmering, brown the tortillas for 30-60 seconds on each side in a nonstick pan. Wrap in a piece of aluminum foil to keep warm until ready to use.
- Sauté onion and peppers over medium-high heat. Rinse beans with cold water twice to make sure they are rinsed well. Add them to the sauté pan along with ½ cup stock and 2 tablespoons of the Frontera sauce. Reduce heat to low, and let beans simmer for 15 minutes.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add ½ cup of the rice mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and let cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for another 5 minutes.
- When it is dinnertime, take a fork and run it through the pot with the rice to lightly separate the grains. This is called fluffing or forking the rice.
Check out a video of how to make this recipe on the landing page for Let's Get Cooking!